5 Best Glutes Workout Moves to Bigger Glutes (Video Demo)
If bigger glutes is what you want and I mean a rounded, toned, sculpted booty then these 5 glutes workout moves is exactly what you need in your life.
Glute Strengthening Exercises
I'd recommend starting with 2 sets of 20 and as you get stronger move up to 3 sets of 20-25. Take two days off in-between your glutes workout as like any muscle, recovery time is needed.
Glutes Workout Move #1: Curtsy Lunge
How to perform curtsy lunges:
- Stand tall with your feet flat and facing forward, hip-width apart
- Keep all of your weight on the left foot while bringing the right foot back, crossing it over your left leg
- By lowering into a curtsy your left thigh should be parallel to the floor
- Make sure your front knee is not crossing over your toes
- Return to standing. You can either complete all the reps on one leg, then move to the other or you could rotate, right...left....right...left.
Why Curtsy Lunges Work
Because curtsy lunges work the glute medius and minimus which activates the hip abductors. These muscles sit on the side of your buttocks working the glute at the degree they originate from.
The move also strengthens your inner and outer thighs through your abductors and adductors (bonus). If you like the lean leg look but want curves for your butt then this is your new favorite move.
My recommendation is to master the move then add weights, you'll definitely feel the difference.
Glutes Workout Move #2: Superman
How to Perform the Superman Exercise
- Lie face down on a mat. Your beginning position will be with arms outstretched in front of you (yes, like superman or woman while flying)
- Alternating sides, lift your right arm and left leg while slightly raising your chest off the floor. Your arm and leg lifts inches off the floor.
- Hold the move at the top for three to five seconds.
- Lower your leg and arm and perform the move on the opposite side.
Why the superman exercise works:
You will engage your lower back muscles, erector spinae as well as your glutes and hamstrings.
Glutes Workout Move #3: Split Squat
How to Perform the Split Squats (Bulgarian Split Squat)
- Stand upright. Place the rear foot elevated onto a chair or bench
- Step the front foot forward
- Lunge down so front hamstring is parallel to the ground. Ensure the front knee does not pass over the front toe.
- Perform all reps on one leg. Switch and repeat on the opposing side.
- Master the form prior to adding weights.
Why Split Squats Work
The primary muscles targeted are the quadriceps and glutes (maximus) with the soleus and adductor magnus working to assist. But that’s not it. Oh no. The hammies (hamstrings), calves (gastrocnemius), gluteus medius and minimus, all working as stabilizers.
Basically… it works your entire anterior and posterior muscles in your legs."
Glutes Workout Move #4: Weighted Walking Lunges
Walking Lunges How To:
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart with your hands to your sides. You can hold dumbbells for added resistance or go without until you master the form.
- Place your right foot forward, flexing the knees. Lower until your rear knee is close to touching the ground. Keep posture upright.
- Ensure your front knee does not pass over the front toes. You should be able to see your front toes.
- Your weight should be on the heel of your forward foot.
- Step forward with your left foot, and repeat the lunge on the opposite leg. This is one rep.
Why Walking Lunges Work
"Squats and lunges both use glutes, quads and hamstrings. However, a single leg exercise, such as lunge, activates more the gluteus medius muscle for stabilization on one leg." ~ Madbarz
Glutes Workout Move #5: Glute Bridge
How to Perform Glute Bridges
- Lie face up on the floor with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. You can perform this move without weight or intermediate to advanced will add weight to this move for increased resistance.
- Lift your hips off the ground allowing your knees, hips and shoulders to form a straight line.
- At the top of the move, squeeze your glutes holding the bridge position a few seconds before easing back down to the floor.
- Keep your core and lower abs tight throughout this move.
Why the glute bridges work:
The move really targets your gluteus maximus and hamstrings as well.
The bridge is also great for improving hip mobility and strengthening your lower back.
Bonus Glutes Workout Move: #6 Ball Glute Bridge (for Variation)
Glute Exercises at Home
You might wonder what glutes exercises you can do from the comforts of your home. I understand completely as not everyone is passionate about going to the gym.
In addition to all of the glutes exercise moves above, here's a list of some exercise moves you can do from home:
- Side Lunges
- Kneeling Kickbacks
- Clam with Resistance Band
- Single Leg Deadlift with Dumbbell
- Fire Hydrants
- Step up with Kickback (the larger the step the better)
To follow my 10-day program from home learn more here.
Killer Hamstring and Glute Workout
For those of you who are passionate about going to the gym, here's some moves that will work your hamstrings that lead right up to your glutes.
- Barbell Goodmorning
- Prone Hamstring Curls
- Leg Press
- Seated Hamstring Curl
Bonus Butt Moves:
- Barbell Deadlifts
- Cable Kickbacks
- Weighted Step-ups
The real way you're going to be able to see progress with your glutes is to compliment your workouts with the right nutrition for your goal. So many times I see people workout really, really hard but don't have the results to show because they aren't lean enough for the lean muscle to shine through.
It may just be a matter of shifting your nutrition plan. If you want to know the truth about diets, check out this post here. It's a great reference if you've tried more than one diet in the past and either rebounded with weight gain or just couldn't experience the results you desired.
You deserve to have the body you feel confident, sexy, and secure in! No matter what point you're at, just realize it's never too late to start.
Just take the initial step. And don't depend on motivation; it's fleeting. Be inspired instead. Inspired by who you want to become. Inspired by your best self.
Forever in your corner,
Author of Everyone Has A 6-Pack and the 10-Day Toned & Lean Kickstart Program